First, let me confess, It is not an easy decision as it sounds.
It took me a long pause to decide and thanks to my mom and kids, who helped me decide upon it.
Like all other moms, who are into staying at home after delivery, I too had so many thoughts about taking up a career. It was again a gush of emotions.
The guilt feelings that come along were:
- I will miss the time with my kids.
- I will miss everything
- I will miss everything..
and I yes it was all that- I miss tagging in everything I thought about. It was not leading me anywhere positive.
When I consult anyone who knows me very well (i assume), they end up saying conflicting statements.
“you will get, you will do it easily – but yes, it might be difficult for kids”.
it also never led me anywhere.
All i wanted was someone telling me – I can do it, and I am not gonna miss anything because I will be working.
And yes, I heard them, from my kids and my mom. They were reassuring me with their words and my lil one with all the love. It did boost my confidence, sliding the guilt to the slight corner of my heart.
Even though I have all these contradictory thoughts, in my head, I was pretty confident in my own choices. I trust in everything that happens…
And finally, it was the day, when I was supposed to be starting my job(now 9 months to it though) – it swept away my sleep and i was filled with anxiety, but to my happiness, it all went well, rather better than expected.
Thanks to all who made me win the moment.
If i would say- every woman – needs a job or even pursue something that they love to do. It is not just independence that matters, it gives her joy, which knows no bounds. Give her the freedom to choose not permission.
She cannot do it alone, though – as she supports you, you(family, friends, colleagues) also need to be supportive. Sometime she might be taking her baby steps after a long gap. Hold her and support her, give her space, she is sure to walk along.
My tips to women who are coming back to work
- Just relax, it is not a crime to get back to work.
- Seek help, we need not be egoistic.
- Don’t strain yourself because only you are there to take care of yourself.
- Do not set too many high expectations, take small steps to achieve the big.
- Finish your chores, before you are overloaded – always expect the worst and enjoy the best( as a surprise).
- Being guilty is common- stop thinking about it and spend your time wisely.
- I always thought – my parents did work hard and earn enough to teach me and gain a good education- I should never let it go wasted.
- You are good – all you need is a little up-gradation – even an engine requires a service to restart, then why not us.
- Never shun away from learning new things.
- Network, network, and network- they just lead you or give you better insights.
As I was saying,
It took me a long time to realize that I was on my right path, but yes it took me to the right destiny at the right moment. Hence if you are still in the moderation time of your thoughts.- no worries you are just reaching right on time.
(have patience – the gift of motherhood)